Thursday, May 23, 2013

Turkey meatloaf

Ground turkey breast is one of those versatile foods that's great to cook with because it's healthy and it takes on the flavor of whatever seasonings you use. I don't like to use turkey as a substitute for ground beef, though - if you want beef, use beef. Turkey is entirely different, and can be quite delicious.


Last week, I made Ina Garten's turkey meatloaf and it was fantastic (I professed my love for Ina in this post; I've never met an Ina recipe I didn't like). Jack and Nellie couldn't get enough - lean ground meat is a great first food as well as an excellent toddler meal - and I kept stealing little bites off their plates because I could hardly wait to eat a piece at adult dinner time. 



The trick is adding a lot of moisture; ground turkey is pretty dry. This recipe calls for sauteed onions mixed with worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and chicken stock. Bread crumbs (I used panko, see photo above) and eggs are a given in most meatloaf recipes. Add a little thyme, salt, and pepper, and yum yum yum. I like it best the next day, as a sandwich with some extra ketchup:


Here are a few more turkey meatloaf recipes to try: this one uses a mix of light and dark meat, Martha Stewart's sounds perfect for fall, and this one uses homemade BBQ sauce. 

Also, this always makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment