Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dinner tonight: Summertime slow cooker


I've had a head cold since coming back from Maine, so I haven't really been in the mood to cook this week. Thank goodness for the slow cooker. We haven't used it since winter, but after seeing this piece from Mark Bittman in the NY Times Magazine last week, I was completely on board with breaking it out in the consistently 90 degree heat. 

You've all heard me sing the praises of beans, and Bittman's non-recipe (more of a game plan) is perfect for making beans without rendering any heat in the kitchen. Just plug in the slow cooker and go on with your day. Here's the deal: pick a few items from the below, throw them in your crockpot, and in a few hours you have a delicious, healthy (especially after a week of fried clams and old fashioneds) stew. 


Last night, I tried lentils, kale, sausages, and onion - all braised in vegetable stock and white wine. It was a little on the wintry side, but it felt good and warming with my cold. Nellie and Jack were suspicious at first (Jack kept looking at the plate, then at me, then back at the plate, then at me - I'll admit, it's not the prettiest thing I've ever cooked) but once they tried it, they dug in. 

Later this week, I'm going to try the example in the photo...looks delicious, and a little lighter, yes? Would you cook with your crockpot during a heatwave?

*Top photo is mine (I need a new camera and a lesson in food styling). Bottom photo is, obviously, from the NY Times Magazine. Please click on the link to see the full-size photo, it's gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment