Friday, July 19, 2013

Daydreaming of houses (and autumn)

The babes and I have spent most of this week in our air-conditioned living room and I'm about one Nellie-style mezzo soprano scream away from losing my mind. Seriously. I mean, I was just about to hit "publish" on a 500+ word post largely about the movie Stepmom, I'm not kidding (it's been on my mind lately because it takes place in what's supposed to be Westchester County, where we're looking for a house...and there are a lot of autumn scenes in it, and I'm jonesing for a cardigan and some apple pie...but still). For your sake, dear readers, I've left only the highlights, with a few rewrites:


October is 80 days away. Whoop! Sweater weather! Good hair days! Leaves! (Julia's hat!)


So here's something that might not be surprising: I have a thing for movie and television houses. Like a minor obsession. Like I know Stepmom is pretty terrible yet I will watch it multiple times just to look at the house. (That's it, above, in all it's wintry glory.) Same goes for Family Stone. (And Something's Gotta Give, but I really do like that one.) There was a brief moment last year where Evan and I were very close to moving (again) to the Bay Area and I actually said to him, "We can do it, but I want to live in Berkeley, like the Bravermans." (There were many reasons why we didn't move, and this was not one of them.) Luckily, a brilliant woman created Hooked on Houses, which is basically an extremely comprehensive database of cool houses from movies and television shows. She has them ALL! I know...are you laughing at me? Is there anyone else out there who shares my sickness?? (Parentheses!)

This weekend we're taking a ride up to Irvington and Pleasantville to poke around and drive by some homes that are on the market. Our budget right now (especially for tony Westchester towns) is more 3-bedroom Cape than 5-bedroom Colonial, but I'm hopeful. We need to find something. Because where our sweet apartment used to look like this:




It now looks like this:


Have a great weekend! Temps going down to the 80s!!!!

*Photo of the Stepmom house is from hookedonhouses.net

1 comment:

  1. I'll trade you a 3 bedroom in Waltham for your apartment in Brooklyn......

    ReplyDelete