Friday, June 21, 2013

Time to sit back and unwind


There is so much I love about summer. On perfect sunny days like today, I like to flip through my memories of the season, like a rolodex of senses and sentiments. Salty Wells Beach air; lemony ice water from a thick plastic water bottle at field hockey camp; the freezing air inside the State House hitting my face, sweaty from the walk through the Boston Common; clam chowder; Starbuck's iced coffee; al fresco dining on smelly city street corners; heady flirtations; long walks through Manhattan at night; beach houses full of friends and fruity drinks (anyone remember the Pink Lieutenant?); hanging out in the Public Gardens at our wedding.

Summers are a bit different now that there are babies. Two years ago at this time, I was very newly pregnant - it was too early to take a test, but deep down I knew. And last year, when everyone was posting "Call Me Maybe" memes on Facebook, I had no idea what they were talking about because I had never heard the song! I was so overwhelmed with having two infants, I barely remember last summer at all (I do remember messing up my lower back while breastfeeding and spending a week at my parents' house recovering).

Jack and Nellie are still too little to make summer memories, but I'm planning to create some anyway and show them the photos later. I'm looking forward to 4th of July in Maine, trips to the carousel in Brooklyn Bridge Park, lots of ice cream at Ample Hills, Prospect Park picnics with wine juice boxes (for the grown ups), and even running through the sprinklers at the playground (which still skeeves me out, but I guess it's a NYC thing so we're going for it).

This weekend, I'm buying some J.Crew flip-flops and Sugar perfume from Fresh, getting a summer-y pedicure (maybe this color?), and drinking outside. What are you doing to celebrate the season? Maybe this list of summer hits from the past 50 years will inspire you. (I really want to listen to Lisa Loeb now.)

Also, remember when we all really liked Will Smith?


Happy summer everyone! Have a great weekend!

1 comment: