Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer cocktails


We're heading to Maine next week, and I'm really looking forward to hanging out at the beach, seeing my adorable nephew Luke, and having built-in babysitters (my parents!) for a few nights so Evan and I can catch up with my sister, my brother, and his wife over a few drinks. In addition some chilled bottles of rose and a couple of six-packs of good beer, I've been thinking of bringing ingredients to make a cocktail or two. Because there's no better season for a tipple than sum sum summertime. Here are a few of my favorites:


Michelada: Sort of like a Bloody Mary mixed with beer. Sounds strange, and it is a little, but it's also perfectly refreshing and delicious, and not at all sweet. This recipe uses Clamato, but I'd stick with regular tomato juice.


Spiked Arnold Palmer: Unsweetened iced tea is kind of like seltzer to me in that I can drink it by the gallon. Add lemonade and vodka, and you have yourself a Sunday afternoon in August.


Sangria: Wine with more booze added...and then you can nibble on the boozy fruit!


Mojito: Sure it's passe, and bartenders hate when you order it, but the combination of mint, lime, rum, and seltzer (or try this version with champagne instead) SCREAMS summer. Just make it in the privacy of your own home.


Margarita: So ubiquitous that Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about it, but there's a reason it's been one of the most popular drinks since Esquire named it "drink of the month" in 1953: made right, it will cool you down and give you a summer evening to remember (hehe or forget...).

Also, don't forget about Dark n Stormies. Delicious, even when it's bright and sunny.

P.S. What does your favorite drink say about you? This round up cracked me up.


*Top photo from nydailynews.com. All others are credited in the links that correspond to their recipes.


1 comment:

  1. 1. Yesterday I made a rosemary lemon-lime simple syrup. It's yummo.
    2. What's up with the hating on the mojito? Who are these jerk bartenders?
    3. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should anyone be using Clamato for anything ever.
    4. I had a really good Dark and Stormy on Tuesday.
    5. Great post.

    ReplyDelete