Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Little Beans for my Little Beans


We eat a lot of lentils in our house. They are insanely healthy, and no matter what kind of day I'm having, I always feel like a pretty great mama when J and N dive into a bowl for dinner. And they're so delicious, versatile, and easy to cook with, that I find myself making a huge batch of them about every other week and having some every day that week. Which means my family eats lentils about 180 days a year. Ok, I may be exaggerating a little, but really, we do eat them a lot.


Here's my simple lentil recipe. I adapted it from my mom's verbal directions on how to turn these little dried beans into stewed goodness. Keep in mind, the veggie quantities don't have to be exact - I've made it without carrots one time and without celery another, and it tasted just fine. J and N LOVE these, and so do Evan and I. Extra yummy sprinkled with Parmesan...I mean, what isn't?

2 tbs olive oil
2 celery stalks
1 large or 2 small onions
2 med carrots
1 yellow bell pepper (or whatever color you have in your fridge)
1 16 oz bag green lentils
2 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
1 28oz can chopped tomatoes
4+ cups of veggie or chicken stock
Salt and pepper

Dice all veggies, roughly the same size. Or, if you're like me and for some are reason physically unable to chop carrots and peppers nicely...leave those veggie a little bigger.


Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large/wide pot over med heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until they start to soften, but don't let them brown.


Add peppers, cook for another 5-10 min until all veggies are relatively soft. Onions and celery should be translucent.


Season veggies with salt and pepper. Stir in oregano.
Add the lentils, toss with veggies, cook for 2 minutes.


Add tomatoes, stock, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Add a bit more salt and pepper.


Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about an hour. Check and stir in 15 minute increments. It's done when lentils are soft and have soaked up all the liquid. If the liquid is gone and lentils are still chewy, add a cup or two of water and cook till soft.


This makes a TON. It also freezes well, so if you don't have two growing monkeys to share it with, you can make it last a little longer. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment